Mercedes-Benz W 180 220S Ponton
- First ever built Mercedes-Benz W180 220S Ponton Cabriolet
- Completely restored
- Beautiful colour combination
|Paintwork:||Blue - white|
|Interior:||Blue - white|
|Price:||149.000,- € (no VAT refundable)|
* Fuel consumption: (DIN 70030) 11,8 L Super determined at 3/4 of maximum speed, maximum of 110 km / h below surcharge of 10% (factory specification)
GET IN TOUCH WITH OUR SALES STAFF FOR THE MERCEDES-BENZ W 180 220S Ponton.
The Mercedes-Benz W 180 220S Ponton Cabriolet
This was the first Mercedes-Benz W180 220S Ponton cabriolet ever to be built ! Ordered via the Daimler-Benz agency Adolf Hess for the company Gebrüder Moor “Trierer Obstverwertung”, Weidegasse 3 in Trier. The amount of 19,310 DM was paid by cheque for the cabriolet. The cabriolet was handed over to Mr Bernhard Mohr on 4 August 1956 at the factory. The vehicle was already registered (initial registration on 4 August 1856 in Trier) and he drove the car himself to Trier. Registration number TR - C 27. Vehicle registration document number: 81688196. The cabriolet remained registered to the same person until 26 May 1971. After which, the car remained in the family for several years until it was sold to Mr Hans Wacht in Konz-Könen. Mr Dietmar Hein from the Joh. Wacht GmbH & Co. KG company still remembers the Mercedes cabriolet being delivered, unfortunately he cannot remember the exact date, but thinks “the car must have been bought in the late 70s, early 80s and stored on the company premises.” As the car was complete and untouched, but was only in average condition, Mr Wacht intended from the very beginning to take it apart and restore it. During the restoration work, the engine had to be replaced and a similar 6-cylinder engine from an old Mercedes-Benz Unimog S 404 was installed, which is still in the vehicle today. A second cabriolet was purchased to be used for spare parts.
Due to a lack of free-time, the person making the repairs could only work for a couple of hours a week on the car and as the cost of acquiring various spare parts was much higher than originally assumed (classified ads were used back then to find lots of parts), progress was slow. Mr Hein comments in a conversation, “Then work on the cabriolet stopped and it just sat in a corner of the company premises next to the spare part car”. At the beginning of the 90s, it was clear that the car would not be restored to its former glory and Mr Wacht sold the cabriolet and all parts to a company specialising in restoration located in the nearby town of Beidweiler, in Luxembourg. Unfortunately Mr Hein can no longer remember the name of the buyer, but he does know that he had a workshop on a converted farm and has meanwhile passed away.
The cabriolet was restored there over the course of several years, but was not restored to its original condition. The new owner decided in favour of a 2-colour paint in pale blue and cream with a cream-coloured leather interior. Photographs in a Mercedes marketing brochure from the late 1950s must have been his inspiration. Luckily, the very characteristic 3-part hard convertible top cover was kept. It was only the very first cabriolets that did not have a leather tarpaulin.
May 1995 saw another change of owner as the German vehicle registration document was withdrawn on 11 May 1995 by the authorities in Luxembourg and the car was re-registered on 29 June 1995 in Beidweiler, Luxembourg under the name of Mr Josepheus Johannes Havermans. The documents in our possession show that Mr Mohr’s widow, Maria Sofia Mohr, must have handed over confirmation to be presented to the vehicle licensing authority in Luxembourg on 19 May 1955 to the town hall of Trier, which stated that the car had been duly sold to Mr Wacht and the German vehicle registration document had been given to him. The car continued its journey to another owner before finally arriving at Mechatronik. Due to its unusual history as the first-ever Ponton cabriolet to be built, this car would without a doubt enrich any superior collection.