Mercedes-Benz W06 710 SS
- Mercedes-Benz Classic certified
- Unique original bodywork by Fernandez & Darrin
- Fully ready to use and functional
- Suitable for the most demanding concours events
- One of the most extraordinary pre-war models from Mercedes
Get in touch with OUR SALES STAFF FOR THE Mercedes-Benz W06 710 SS
The Mercedes-Benz W06 710 SS
The glamour that accompanied the products of Daimler-Benz AG in the late 1920s and early 1930s is attributable in large part to the successes of the legendary S, SS and SSK supercharged sports cars. Still today, the Mercedes-Benz brand benefits considerably from the charisma of these unique high-speed cars, which is almost without parallel in the history of the automobile. The numerous triumphs of the "S series" on the race track remain engraved in the memory:victories at the German Grand Prix of 1927, 1928 and 1931, at the Avus races of 1931 and 1932, the Eifel race of 1931, the Tourist Trophy of 1929, the Irish Grand Prix of 1930, the ൠ Hours of Spa" of 1931 and the "Mille Miglia" of 1931, the European Hill Climb Championships of 1930 and 1931 as well as the German Alpine Championship of 1932, to name just the most important. In 1927, the "S" model - the "S" stood for "Sport" -ushered in the era of a new high-performance sports car that was also suitable for use at motor sport events. The dimensions of the "K" chassis were retained as a basis for developing a new chassis. More pronounced offsets on both the front and rear axles made it possible for the frame to be lowered significantly. The engine was set back 30 cm to the rear, which improved the axle load distribution, in addition to making it possible for the large six-cylinder power plant to be installed significantly lower in the vehicle. Nor did efforts to give the vehicle as low a bodyline as possible stop at the profile of the pointed radiator. Instead of the eight blocks in the "K", the radiator now had only seven blocks stacked on top of each other. The engine, too, underwent some radical modifications. It was also given a design code that conformed to the internal nomenclature introduced in the wake of the merger. It was now called M 06. The bore was widened by 4 mm, which increased the displacement to 6.8 litres. This necessitated extensive changes to the engine block. To create the necessary space for the larger cylinder liners, these were converted from dry to wet. As with the "K", the "S" model also featured dual ignition with two spark plugs per cylinder, one of which was supplied by the conventional high-voltage magneto ignition and the other by battery ignition. In combination with a twin-carburettor system, the new sports engine had an official power rating of 180 hp with supercharger. Works engines with higher compression ratios delivered up to 220 hp when run on a benzole mixture. The first outing of the "S" was in the inaugural race on the Nürburgring in June 1927, where it carried Rudolf Caracciola and Adolf Rosenberger to finish first and second place respectively. Caracciola, who was later to become Daimler-Benz's most successful racing driver, recorded an average speed of 101.1 km/h over a distance of just under 360 km. Almost to the day exactly three months later, Rudolf Caracciola posted an average speed of 194.6 km/h in a sprint race in Antwerp. With this, the "S" had delivered unambiguous proof of its status as a high-speed sports car. It was officially added to the sales programme in April 1927, together with the "K". Under the new category of "Special Sports Cars", the price list included the four-seater versions of both models at prices of RM 26,000 and RM 30,000. At that time, the "S" was still to make its debut, being included in the price list as "Model 1927". This situation persisted until October 1927, when, in addition to the four-seater sports variants, chassis-only versions also became available - at prices of RM 20,750 for the Model "K" and RM 26,000 for the Model "S". In 1928, the power output was further increased. The conversion to wet cylinder liners had created sufficient space to widen the bore by a further 2 mm to 100 mm, resulting in a displacement of 7.1 litres. The new engine was available in two power ratings. The tamer version with a compression ratio of 4.7 delivered 140/200 hp, while the more highly compressed variant (with a compression ratio of 5.2) was officially rated at 160/200 hp. It can be regarded as certain, however, that, owing to the higher compression and corresponding tuning, the specified supercharged output of 200 hp was exceeded. The crankshaft with its four main bearings was provided with a vibration damper. A racing camshaft was developed for race track use, increasing the power output to 170/225 hp. More powerful superchargers with larger rotor blades were also on hand. An output of 275 hp was produced with the smaller of the two racing superchargers. This supercharger version as well as the racing camshaft were also available to privateers. The 7.1‑litre engine was ready for use in mid-1928 and was installed in the "S" chassis. Powered by the new engine, the racing sports car was given the designation "SS" - for Super Sport. On 29 June, the vehicle underwent its baptism of fire in the Bühler Höhe hill-climb race, which was held as part of the Baden-Baden Automobile Tournament and was won with ease by Rudolf Caracciola. More spectacular was the next outing in the German Racing Car Grand Prix, which was held on the Nürburgring on 15 July. A triple triumph instantly made clear what the "SS" could do. This was followed by numerous further racing successes, even before the "SS" was added to the sales programme in October. The "S", chassis production of which was finally phased out in September 1928 after a run of 146 units, continued to be included in the price list until the beginning of 1930. While the "S" model had been designed mainly with a view to its suitability as a racing car, the "SS" was, despite the increased power of its engine, intended primarily as a Gran Tourismo of the kind we know today. This is made evident, for example, by the radiator, which, with its eight blocks, was restored to the same height as in the Model "K", thereby permitting a higher bodyline than in the "S". This was underscored, albeit not from the outset, by the available choice of bodies. Initially, apart from the chassis-only version, there was just the four-seater sports car. At the end of 1929, however, the range was extended to include a four-seater special convertible costing RM 44,000. In September 1932, the line-up was further augmented by a two-seater special convertible, which was available also as a roadster. From November 1928, 111 units of the "SS" were manufactured in total, the lion's share of which, 101 units, had been produced by the end of 1930. A further ten vehicles followed by September 1933. The "SS" was included in the price lists until July 1935.
The vehicle offered here is chassis number 36223, which was ordered on April 28, 1929 by the Mercedes-Benz Company New York. A few months later, on October 30, 1929, the car was delivered as a rolling chassis in New York. It was then sold to the "Import Motors Company" in New York in January 1931, which ordered a unique 4-door sports tourer body from the legendary coachbuilder Fernandez & Darrin. This Mercedes 710 SS in the color white, in combination with a red leather interior, was delivered to its first owner in Washington DC in 1931 to the successful businessman Mr. Martin. In the subsequent decades, the Mercedes changed hands several times and passed through the hands of passionate Mercedes collectors such as Mr. Allan Meritt, who in turn sold the 710 SS to Dr. Samuel L. Scher. In August 1956 Mr Pitcairn finally purchased the car and decided to restore it. He took this opportunity to change the colour of the 710 SS to black. After the work was completed in 1957, Mr Pitcairn took part in various American Concours d'Elégance events in the following years and the car remained in his collection until the late 1980s. In 1987, the Mercedes 710 SS appeared in a photograph for an article on pre-war Mercedes published in the Automobile Quarterly magazine. Apart from the colour that had meanwhile changed, the car is still in original condition. In the spring of 1993 the Mercedes left Mr Pitcairn's collection and was put up for sale. As a result, the dealer William Kontes from New Jersey placed an advertisement in the May 1993 issue of Classic & Sports Car Magazine selling exactly this car. The photos clearly show this Mercedes 710 SS with its distinctive bodywork. The advertisement also mentions the chassis number 36223 and engine number 72182. The sale brought the 710 SS back to Europe where it was purchased by a German buyer in 2009 and immediately shipped to the Mercedes-Benz Classic Center in Stuttgart for an expertise report. The detailed certification by Mercedes-Benz Classic confirmed that the vehicle is an original Mercedes 710 SS and that all components correspond to those of a 710 SS. In 2016 the engine was also completely overhauled to ensure full functionality.
The Mercedes-Benz 710 SS on sale here offers the extremely rare opportunity to enter the royal class of the pre-war era and to experience for yourself the incredible technical accomplishments of these cars. A car which was far ahead of its time and is still associated with the absolute spearhead of automobile construction. For detailed questions please contact our sales staff at any time. Please note that viewings are generally only possible by prior appointment.