Mercedes-Benz 460 Nürburg
- Fully restored
- Matching Numbers
- Ready to drive
|Paintwork:||Black / red|
|Interior:||Leather / Velours red|
|Price:||189.000,- € (TAX paid)|
* Fuel consumption: (DIN 70030) 17,3 L Petrol determined at 3/4 of maximum speed, maximum of 80 km / h below surcharge of 10% (factory specification)
Get in touch with OUR SALES STAFF FOR THE Mercedes-Benz 460 Nürburg.
The Mercedes-Benz 460 Nürburg
The last cornerstone of the post-merger revamp of the Mercedes-Benz passenger car range was a 4.6-litre eight-cylinder vehicle that had been developed under Ferdinand Porsche and which was called the Nürburg 460. This model owed its name not to any particular sportiness, but to the fact that it had undergone endurance testing on the Nürburgring, where a 460 had covered 20,000 kilometres in 13 days of driving. Unveiled in October 1928 at the Paris Motor Show, the Nürburg 460 served as a successor to the six-cylinder supercharged 15/70/100 hp, which had been launched four years previously and was to remain in production until February 1929. It was the first series-produced automobile from the world's oldest automobile manufacturer to be powered by an eight-cylinder engine. For this reason, it was also referred to in some publications as the "Nürburg 8", and the cover page of early catalogues was adorned with a gold-embossed 8 inside a lozenge shape. At its launch, the new luxury-class Mercedes-Benz with its high-frame chassis did indeed look similar to its namesake, the Nürburg: rather old and outdated. At a sales price of RM 20,000 for the pullman saloon, this did not necessarily point to a success story. Ferdinand Porsche's successor, Dr Hans Nibel, who became chief designer at Daimler-Benz AG with effect from 1 January 1929, then proceeded to revise the Nürburg for its second model year. Consequently, as early as autumn 1929, once again at the Paris Motor Show, the public was introduced to a vehicle of considerably greater appeal. Dr. Nibel had replaced the high-frame chassis with a low-frame version. The reduced height having given it a more stretched and elegant look, the vehicle was now every bit the equal of its competitors in terms of external appearance. Alongside the variant with the standard wheelbase, there was also a short version of the early Nürburg, which was given the additional designation letter "K". In this case, however, the "K" stood not for "Kompressor" (supercharger), but for "kurz" (short). The 460 K had a 240 mm shorter wheelbase and a 50 kg lighter frame. Common to both variants were the 80 hp eight-cylinder in-line engine and four-speed transmission. The short chassis was used for four-/five-seater bodies, which were available in saloon, open tourer and Convertible D versions. The low-frame variant of the 460 K could additionally be ordered in the form of a special Convertible C "St. Moritz". The melodious name of the winter sports resort in Engadin was bestowed upon this model in early 1930 after it had received the best rating of all entries in a car beauty competition held in that town. The raked windscreen came in for particular praise, the prize list from December 1931 describing the Daimler-Benz entry as the "Special Convertible C "St. Moritz", sloping windscreen". One special version of the Nürburg 460 on the short chassis did not feature in any brochure or price list: a two-seater sports roadster, two examples of which participated in motor sport events in 1929.Rudolf Caracciola and Otto Merz were at the wheels of these unusual sports cars in the International Alpine Rally over a distance of 2660 km and in the 8-hour ADAC long-distance race for non-supercharged touring cars on the Nürburgring. The standard-wheelbase Nürburg 460 was available as an open tourer and as a pullman saloon, each with six to seven seats. In late 1931, the model range was augmented by a six-/seven-seater Convertible F, although this came not with a Sindelfingen body, but instead with bodies built by the third-party firms of Neuss, Erdmann & Rossi, Voll & Ruhrbeck, Papler and Gläser. In-house bodies for the other variants were produced not just at the Mannheim plant, which built all model variants of the Nürburg, but in some cases also in Sindelfingen. For a handful of VIP customers such as Pope Pius XI, the Nürburg was also fitted with the pullman body of the "Grand Mercedes". As was usual at the time, customers could also purchase a bodyless chassis with a view to having an external coachbuilder fit it with a custom-built body. To this end, the chassis was available in both wheelbase lengths. Production of the Nürburg 460 came to an end in December 1933, while the five‑l itre variant was renamed the 500 in February 1934. Some confusion was caused by the fact that, just one month later, the with supercharger", today better known as the 500 K, was unveiled. The designations 500 K and 500 N were soon introduced in an effort to distinguish the two five-litre models. The "N" can be interpreted as an abbreviation of "Nürburg" or "Normal" (i.e. without supercharger) and was not used consistently.
This exceptional example is a short chassis version (3430 mm). It is fitted with the factory limousine body, and the red and black paintwork gives it a sporty appearance. The car was likely delivered new to a person of some standing as it is fitted with a partition. Pre-war Mercedes archives were largely destroyed during WW2 bombing, and so the early history of this imposing Mercedes is not known. We have, however, contacted a previous owner, Mr Peter S, who informed us that a full restoration was carried out some twenty years ago in the Frankfurt area. It is clear the car has been used sparingly as both the bodywork and interior remain in exceptional condition. The quality of workmanship and materials is remarkable, with a front bench seat in leather, as was correct for the driver, in red, and rear seats and fold-down seating covered in red velvet. There are no defects and the upholstery is in 'as-new' condition. At the back, the car has its original travelling trunk with two large black suitcases. The chrome is in excellent condition and the artillery wheels are superb.
This is a high-class automobile that would be a welcome participant at a Concours d'Elégance. Please note that vehicle sightings are only possible by prior appointment.