Mercedes-Benz W142 320 Cabriolet A
- Fully restored and ready to drive
- Classic color combination
- Incl. fresh service and MOT
|Paintwork:||Blue / white|
|Price:||439.000,- € (TAX paid)|
* Fuel consumption: (DIN 70030) 16,6 L petrol determined at 3/4 of maximum speed, maximum of 110 km / h below surcharge of 10% (factory specification)
Get in touch with OUR SALES STAFF FOR THE Mercedes-Benz W142 320 Cabriolet A
The Mercedes-Benz W142 320 Cabriolet A
The operation and the limited performance of the type 290 were brought up to date with the new type 320. The 320 presented at IAMA 1937 thus met all the increased requirements. Production of the 320 only started in spring of 1937 with some delay, whereby the production of the discontinued 290 - as is often the case at Daimler-Benz - still overlapped with that of the 320 for a few months. At first glance, the new 320 showed only slight differences from the previous model. Chassis and chassis were hardly modified compared to the 290. The torsion-resistant box frame had the same wheelbases - 2,280 and 3,300 millimeters. Building on this, only two exclusive two-seaters were available for the short wheelbase: The Cabriolet A, which was modeled on the 540 K Roadster in many style elements. The accentuated, strongly cut-out fenders, which had the typical notch on the outside edge at the front, the low, V-shaped split windshield and the flat tail with the embedded spare wheel gave the large supercharger vehicle a formal role model, especially when the short 320 were equipped with the spoke wheels available for a surcharge. The driving performance of the 320 emphasized the character of the fast touring car. The factory specification of 126 km / h was even exceeded in a test by Automobil Revue at 129.3 km / h. The manufacturer specified the standard consumption as 16.6 liters per 100 kilometers. The test reports showed average values between 15.3 and 18.8 liters. The 320 also impressed in its driving characteristics. Despite its respectable size, the car turned out to be incredibly handy when maneuvering. Wind noise and vibrations were foreign to him, bumps on the road were very well absorbed by the suspension. The straight running was hardly to be influenced, and the side inclination of the superstructure was limited in brisk corners. In contrast, the range of bodies that were available on the long wheelbase remained unchanged. In addition to the interior steering limousines, the Cabriolets B and D were still offered, but now with a split windshield. Formally, however, the Cabriolet A and the very rare Roadster were still the most successful creations. The nitro-lacquered wood-steel bodies were all exquisitely equipped. The "high comfort of the large touring coach", according to a tester of the time, was expressed not only in the generous interior dimensions with seat widths between 119 and 126 centimeters, but also in the well-thought-out equipment details. The equipment on the precious wood veneered instrument panels included a timer, speedometer, fuel gauge and oil pressure gauge. Two glove compartments with lids accommodated smaller utensils. To the left of the steering column was the switch tap for the 4-liter fuel reserve of the 72-liter fuel tank in the rear of the car. An ashtray integrated in the wooden frame of the upper edge of the dashboard and an electric cigarette lighter complete the luxurious atmosphere of the control desk. When series production started, a fully synchronized gearbox was installed, which was supplemented in summer 1939 by a new development from the Friedrichshafen (ZF) gear factory. A planetary gear was flanged to the actual gear housing, which offered a further gear ratio in the reduction ratio 1: 0.74. The "ZF Reichsautobahn Ferngang" was a kind of overdrive, which was activated with a normal clutch actuation by a small shift lever next to the gear shift stick. This "fifth" gear reduced the engine speed by approx. 25 percent. Overall, the Type 320, with 5,189 civil vehicles manufactured, had a comparatively respectable production result. However, the survival rate remained low. The few cars that escaped compulsory military service or survived military service often became victims of economic circumstances after the war.
The Mercedes-Benz W142 320 Cabriolet A offered here was completed at the Mannheim factory in 1939 and delivered to its first owner. Unfortunately, nothing is known about the whereabouts of the convertible in the following decades, despite extensive research. This is also due to the fact that the Mannheim production facility fell victim to the flames in the Second World War and with it all documents relating to the local production. At the end of the 90s, the car found its way into a large Portuguese collection near Lisbon. Its owner decides to have the 320 Cabriolet A extensively restored in several years. Work on this pre-war classic was completed at the end of 2005. In February 2006 the vehicle was registered to its Portuguese owner, who kept the car in his collection for the next 7 years and completed over 3,000 KM during this time. The last change of ownership took place in 2013. The company Mechatronik buys the vehicle from Portugal and as a result uses it successfully at several events. In October 2018, the 320 Cabrio A offered here easily competed in the already legendary Shanghai Classic Rallye in China, which demanded everything from vehicle and driver over 4 days in demanding climatic conditions. We hand over this car including a fresh customer service and current TÜV to its new owner. For detailed questions, please contact our sales staff.